Created by MyFitnessPal - Calorie Counter

Friday, April 21, 2006

Getting caught up...

Allllll righty then. I really have to get into a rhythm with this here brog, but heck. I also need to get into a rhythm (besides the up and down) on the weight loss. I’m lame, I know, but I really want to kick my ass into gear. I am going to start by trying something that a coworker told me about. As way of background, this guy is a former firefighter and now construction worker, and he’s in extremely good shape. He says he’s not all “abb-ed out” anymore, but he looked cut enough in a t-shirt that I’ll take his advice. He says that when he watches TV, during commercials he does one of two quick circuit workouts. If your endurance is lower (me), he does sets of 10 or 20 reps of first crunches, then pushups, then tricep/shoulder dips off of a chair/couch. He cycles thru those throughout the commercial break. The other one is when your endurance is greater. First commercial break, you do crunches the entire break. Next break, you do pushups the entire time. Next you do the dips, and continue the pattern for the rest of the evening. It seems to be a nice way to tone up and keep the metabolism boosted while watching TV. I will definitely give that a try.

It’s update time. When last we discussed the saga of my fat (4/16), I was at 284 lbs and 36.3% body fat. That was Easter Sunday. I kept to a minimum the candy I consumed, had a relatively light lunch, and dinner consisted of fairly small portions of ham, scalloped potatoes, sourdough rolls, and Jodi’s wicked good green beans. They are sautéed in something (olive oil?) with mushrooms, onions, and I think a little bit of garlic. They are sooooooo good, and I never thought I’d say that about any vegetable (right, Jill?).

4/17. The self-control on Easter paid off, with a weight of 282.6 lbs and 35.8% body fat. Nothing exciting or unusual to eat at any of my meals. Good long dog walks.

4/18. 282.0 lbs and 35.6% bf. The day started off so promising. Staff meeting, so no opportunity to snack after breakfast. Unfortunately I went on the road, right after the meeting. I needed to hit an ATM to get some moolah for lunch, and the route from the ATM to the freeway took me right past a Chinese buffet. Damn. Those places are just freaking evil. I attempted to make up the difference at dinner by limiting myself to a leftover ham sandwich, but it wasn’t enough.

4/19. 283.4 lbs and 35.6% bf. Yup, those Chinese invaders attacked my soft underbelly and occupied my territory. In lieu of normal breakfast, I had a bagel with reduced fat cream cheese. One of our contractors came in for a meeting with our Purchasing Manager, and decided to bribe everyone with bagels and coffee from Einstein Bros. Oh well. I was out of soup and Lean Pockets, so lunch was of the fast food variety. Jack in the Box has some tasty food that is surprisingly not too bad, so I had a Southwest Chicken Pita (230 cal, 3.1g fat) which is very tasty and seemingly healthy, but watch out that they don’t load too much juice/grease/whatever into the pita with the meat and veggies, because the pita tends to commit structural failure. I also had 2 of their tacos (total 320 cal, 16g fat) which aren’t perfect health food, but are perfect drunken beach food. Dinner consisted of this Curry/Indian place in Pacific Beach called World Curry. Probably not the best.

4/20. Could be worse. 283.0 and 36.4% bf. Different morning. Company quarterly meeting out at the Pala Mesa Country Club with a catered breakfast. I managed to exhibit some semblance of portion control, and had some eggs, some bacon, a croissant, and orange juice. Back on the road again, lunch consisted of a classic chicken burrito from El Pollo Loco (636 cal, 19g fat). Dinner could’ve been worse. Healthy choice French bread pizza, some chips and salsa, and some grapes. Which leads me to…

4/21. Today. Weigh in was 283.0 lbs and 35.7% bf. No change on the weight and the bf is down. Hopefully today will not be too evil. Breakfast was normal, but I have to go out to lunch again. We’ll see…

3 comments:

River Driver said...

Oh my God. We ate at the most evil, horrible restaurant tonight! I took Ross and Steve out for their birthdays tonight, and we went downtown to Texas de Brazil, a Brazilian grill house. This is the most unbelievable place. It is a set-price restaurant, and there are no menus. You pay about $40 per person (I think it was about $43). There is a huge salad bar in the middle of the restaurant with 40+ items on it, from sushi to artichoke hearts to black beans and rice to pasta to the biggest wheel of cheese I've ever seen. After you've gorged on the salad bar (which was awesome but I should have just skipped altogether), you take a deep breath and flip over a little red circular piece of plastic next to your plate, to the green side. Within moments an army of "gauchos" armed with skewers of all different sorts of meat and wickedly sharp knives show up at your table. They just wander around the room until someone flips over their little card, and then they pounce. They offer you their skewer, and if it has something on it you want to try, they just slice off a hunk and drop it onto your plate, or if it is something smaller they can just slide it off the end of the skewer. Filet mignon, leg of lamb, barbecued pork ribs, grilled chicken, shrimp, flank steak, parmesan pork tenderloin, Brazilian sausage, lamb shank, it just goes on and on. You take what you want, flip your card back to red to stop the insanity, and start eating. (They also put garlic mashed potatoes, fried polenta, and fried carmelized bananas at the table to cleanse your palate between the different cuts of meat.) When your plate is clear, you can flip your card back over and it all starts again. My God. And the hostess had the indecency to ask if we wanted dessert. Actually, Ross and Steve both got dessert (it was free since it was their birthdays) and brought it home, where it may or may not get eaten in the next few days. I may or may not eat anything in the next few days. It was expensive (and from a weight standpoint a disaster of epic proportions), but it was worth it.

iamhoff said...

I'm assuming that wasn't in Hernando. Memphis, St. Louis, or...? Actually I've been to a place like that in Hacienda Heights up in LA, when I worked for Willdan. One dude in the office, a "larger" dude told us about it, and I seem to recall that he referred to it as the "endless meat-fest". And yes, it had the red and green flags to start and stop the parade of food. Crazy stuff. Hope you all (y'all) had fun. Be sure to blog the tale of the scale!

River Driver said...

It was in Memphis, right by the Peabody hotel. Steve came down for the weekend (we took him kayaking). It was fun, but it was basically a "carnivorgy". Yowza. Anyway, the scale didn't take too bad a hit; I was actually lighter last night when I weighed myself (after a full day of kayaking) than I was Saturday BEFORE we went out to eat (my after-dinner weigh-in Saturday night was about three pounds heavier than the before-dinner). So I didn't suffer. Thank God. Kayaking is actually a really good workout.