Created by MyFitnessPal - Calorie Counter

Friday, July 13, 2007

So, umm, wow!

So.  My Monday weigh-in to start this week was 287.4 lbs.  This was .4 lbs heavier than my goal, and almost 2.5 lbs heavier than my low point of the week, one day previous.  Despite that setback, I was still feeling good.  I had proven that I can lose the weight if I am just careful about how much crap I shove down my neck.   Anyway, Monday was not the best day.  I had to run home at lunch and get some stuff I'd forgotten in the morning, which meant that I ate a lot more than I intended to.   I did hit the gym on the way over to Mom and Dad's house, but I counteracted that with chips, salsa, a quesadilla, and two huge margaritas at Chevy's, with my sister.  End result, Tuesday's weigh-in was about 1 pound heavier than Mondays.   Still, I was optimistic because I had proof that I could lose the weight.  And in this I must give DAPGF full credit.  She is getting older (like the rest of us losers), and she's finally noticing that her metabolism is slowing and the weight isn't staying off like she would prefer.   So we go walking after dinner, usually for about a half hour or so.  In addition, I did go to the driving range at lunch on Tuesday, and had some nice, long doggie walks.   Wednesday's weigh-in was down to 286.8!  Progress!  Wednesday I hit the gym after work and was really tight on what I ate.   Thursday's weigh-in, 285.4 lbs.!!  Thursday, I went to a work luncheon but lucked out with the food.  Salad, and penne pasta in tomato sauce with chicken breast.  And I went and played this tiny little 9 hole executive golf course near Casa de Hoff after work.   DAPGF was out, so I was very careful with what I ate (Lean Cuisine BBQ Chicken Pizza, yummy).  When she came home, we went for another 30 minute walk, and then I had a 45 minute dog walk.   Friday morning's weigh-in.  283.6 lbs.!!!!!!!  Outside of the few days surrounding my mother's death, I haven't been near 283 in several months at least.   I do have the weekend to worry about, but I'm doing too well.  You can bet your collective asses that I'm going to do everything in my power to not backslide.   And I've said it before and I'll keep saying it…My Fitness Pal is a phenomenal tool.  Honestly I couldn't tell you whether it truly is keeping me on track, or whether the idea of using it is making my body process stuff better I couldn't tell you.   I do think that it is keeping me on track.  My sister isn't a fan of food journals or exercise logs, but I say Nay Nay.   Because of how My Fitness Pal is set up, it really lets you see your progress.  One look and I can tell whether the physical activity I've done (again, it lets you track just about anything) has "made up" for whatever I've eaten, or whether I need to put in extra time at the gym to burn off something naughty I've eaten.   I think that's the key…having calories in and calories out integrated.

 

So good luck out there.  Have a great weekend.

2 comments:

River Driver said...

I just don't have the time to go log in, record everything I've eaten (do you record as the day goes on, or just at the end of the day when you are done eating?), look up the stuff that isn't already in the database, etc. Of course, I have the time to eat all that crap...

iamhoff said...

I generally log as I go. What really makes it easy to do (for both the food and exercise components) is, if you do the same things fairly often (swim for 45 minutes, eat a bagel with fat free cream cheese for breakfast, etc.), it becomes a simple "click to add to food diary" or "click to add to exercise journal". You can even do it in between bites of whatever you are nom nom nom-ing on. Wheat Thins are a standard snack for me, and the bagel/cream cheese combo I entered once and add to diary every morning. Likewise the dog walking or time at the driving range. All I need to do is check the box, note how much time I spent doing the activity, and I'm done.