Created by MyFitnessPal - Calorie Counter

Thursday, May 31, 2007

And now we return, to the saga of Hoff

Hello blog world!  Sorry I've been away, but I've been busy.  Combination of holiday weekend, with friends in from out of town, and FINALLY BUYING A NEW COMPUTER, I've been a bit busy.   Also, things have been hectic at work, so what can you do?  Obviously based on the time stamp I'm posting from work, so I'll keep this short and sweet.   And sweet starts us off with…

 

Weight.  Again, I'm still yoyo-ing.  I'm actually really disappointed in myself for a couple of reasons.   First of all, last week DAPGF went out one evening with some friends, giving me an opportunity to go to the gym after work.  Didn't happen.   Also didn't happen on my normal gym day.  And then the holiday weekend, with an extra gym-friendly day.  Nope.   Not once.  Combine that with a couple of days where I completely lacked self-control (mmm, kung pao shrimp), and you've got a recipe (recipe, food, ha ha ha ha ha!  Ok, that was lame.  I'm sorry) for disaster, and it never really happened.   Yes, there was one day where my weight got over 287 lbs, but as of Wednesday's weigh-in I was at 285.6, only .2 lbs over my yoyo weight.  Of course I'd like to be lower than that, but I'll take what I can get (and not just the food!   Ha!  Comedy, comin' at ya!).  One other thing I've noticed is that I haven't been doing my affirmations for the past week and a half.   I will be remedying that starting today.  Believe it or not, it really seemed to help me focus, especially by writing them down at times of the day when I would normally be thinking about feeding my face.   And I can't think of a great segue, so we'll just go now to…

 

Poker.  Been getting my ass handed to me.  Doesn't seem to matter which site, or what game.   PokerStars or Full Tilt.  No Limit Hold 'Em or Pot Limit Omaha/8.  I'm just getting no love from the decks.   At least I can watch myself get destroyed on a 19 inch LCD again, instead of a dinky 14 inch laptop.  Which brings me to…

 

My new computer!  HP, AMD Athelon 64x2 Dual Core 4800, 2 gb ram, 320 gb hard drive, Vista, yadda yadda yadda.   The only downside I've discovered is that both my new wifi usb receiver and my wireless keyboard/mouse both are 2.4 ghz.  I don't know if it's a signal conflict or if the keyboard/mouse signal is just weak, but every now and then the keyboard won't respond or the mouse clicks won't register.   Hasn't been a problem (yet), just mildly annoying.  By and large, though, it's good to have my own machine back.   I finished copying my 15 gigs of mp3s over, so I can get back to listening to music again, reload the mp3 player for the gym, etc.  I can also freely install stuff like Open Office, games, Stumble, etc., without worrying about the IT Nazis at work.   Which brings me to…

 

Work.  Last week I was busy working on an Environmental Impact Report for the City of El Centro, and focusing on responding to Air Quality concerns (side note, this shows the power of the agricultural industry in this region.   As a very windy desert area, air quality is consistently not in compliance with the standards established by the State of California.  Yet they readily allow the use of crop dusters for pesticide application, as well as allowing the farmers to burn their fields every so often to recharge the soil.   Crazy.).  So I was finishing that up and my boss dropped a Request for Proposals on me, on Wednesday afternoon.   And it was due by the end of the day on Tuesday, after the holiday!  It took some work over the weekend, but I got it done.  Some days it is dull as hell, some days I forget to look out the window to see if it's dark out there yet.   Still, it beats the hell out of being unemployed.

 

And friends, where would we be without friends?  My buddy Zippy, Mrs. Zippy, and the little zipper are in town from the smallest state in the Union.  Time with them, eating, drinking, hanging out.   Nice and relaxing, which I definitely need.

 

But now I've got another two proposals to work on, so back to work.  That's where I am right now.   How about you?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Hoff,

If you have a wireless router and/or a cordless phone, they usually run on 2.4 ghz also unless you've upgraded the phone recently. Check out the other wireless devices in the house, and start cutting things off and seeing if your issues improve. If so, you'll have some decisions to make...

iamhoff said...

In Casa de Hoff, the phones are all 900 mhz (prolly gonna upgrade to 5.8 in the near future). All that we have running at 2.4 ghz is my keyboard/mouse, my linksys 802.11g wifi USB transmitter, linksys 802.11g wifi router, DAPGFs wifi laptop (presumably 2.4 ghz) and she's got a wireless USB mouse. We do live in a condo, so it would not surprise me if the upstairs or next door neighbors have 2.4 ghz phones or something.

The problem is that the problem is so random. I don't notice that there's any particular set of conditions that trigger the problem. Maybe I'll disconnect the wifi and see if that helps. Hell, it could simply be that the transmitter is hooked to the back of the machine, and being buried in the CPU space on my desk restricts the signal. The wifi transmitter actually has a USB cable extender that lets me place it up on top of the hutch of the desk. Maybe I'll see if I can get an extender for the keyboard/mouse.

River Driver said...

Glad you are still alive. Any problems with the check from Dad? We made the apparent mistake of spending some of it over the weekend, only to find out the check got taken back out on Tuesday, so we racked up some overdraft charges which of course BofA wouldn't forgive--man I hate those people. Anyway, I'm enjoying my first official day of summer. I'm really going to try to get to the gym a lot and get this weight off. I'm yo-yoing just as much as you are. How's Ginger? Recovering? Maer is irritated that I'm home; it's disrupting his schedule. Congrats on the computer; hope you get it all sorted out.