Created by MyFitnessPal - Calorie Counter

Friday, January 05, 2007

The one in which we try to get our fat ass in gear

Well. So far, the year is not off to a good start. I (jokingly) blame Dear and Patient GF, but she wasn’t the one stuffing food down my throat (for the most part).

My goal was to hit the gym every day possible. BEFORE I did anything fun, like playing poker. That was my big problem last year, whether I was working or not. I always was rushing home to play poker, or there was a tournament spinning up and I didn’t want to miss it, so I really avoided going to the gym. Great use of the membership fees. So this year was to be the big, consistent gym push. I actually started off making it work, attending New Years Eve in the morning, and then again New Years Day in the morning. Beyond that, haven’t set foot inside 24 Hour Fitness since. The reason I blame DAPGF is that she doesn’t start teaching again until next week. So she’s home every night and wants me to come home right after work so that we can have dinner. To top it off, one meal (NYD lunch) was a Pizza Hut lunch buffet and dinner that evening was Souplantation’s buffet. I don’t care if it is a salad place, BUFFETS ARE EVIL!!! I do not fare well in them, especially the Chinese ones. Even without the buffets, we are still going out for less than skinny meals. Lots of Mexican food, cheap Indian food, and the like. Tasty stuff, and not super evil, but still 700-1000 cal per meal.

But I have done plenty of damage all on my own. Lunch is really weird for me. For some reason I have this compulsion to go out and get something to eat, regardless of whether I brought a lunch, whether I ate it, or even what it consisted of. I usually bring something that requires at least heating in the microwave, so it’s not an issue of eating a hot meal. I really don’t know why I do it. Lord knows I don’t need to be spending the $$$$, either.

As much as it is me trying to sidestep the blame for my re-increasing gut, when GF goes back to teaching it will really help me out. First of all, I will be able to get back to the gym 3 nights during the week. Combine this with the at least one weekend morning (usually 2x) at the gym and the physical activity level really ramps up (and hopefully so does the metabolism). More importantly, those nights I eat at home. And I can do a much better job of controlling my food intake at home. Surprisingly, playing online poker helps that out, too. I’ll nuke up a small frozen pizza (400 cal) or a Lean Gourmet meal (300 cal or so), register for a poker game, and then have to wait for a break in the action to get my food out of the microwave. And if I multi-table (play 2 or more separate games at once, for those of you who don’t play poker online), I have even less time to get up and find something in the kitchen to shove down my throat. If I can take 3 nights where I might have normally consumed 900 calories and reduce that down to 400 calories, I’m saving 1500 calories for the week! As the guys in the Guinness commercials say, Brilliant!!

So this weekend it kicks off. GF is actually going out with friends both Friday and Saturday nights, so both nights I get to hit the gym and play poker! Woo hoo! Then Sunday morning I should be able to make it. Monday GF doesn’t teach, so that will be some dining out experience. Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday become my power days at the gym. Abs and cardio every day, with alternating arms, chest, back, and shoulders. I’ve got 8 weeks before GF’s next semester break. Let’s see how far I can get. Which leads me into the ugliness of how far do I have to go. Let’s look at some ugly weigh-ins.


1/2 - 285.0 lbs and 36.4% bf. Yep. The buffets killed me. 'Nuff said. Absolutely the heaviest I've knowingly been. Bad, naughty Hoff.

1/3 - 283.8 lbs and 35.0% bf. Better. Not great, but better.

1/4 - 283.8 lbs and 35.4% bf. Same weight and smidge more bodyfat. This was due to one of my aforementioned lunch meltdowns. I had to run to Target and get a few things on my lunch break. Unfortunately, some evil bastard placed a Taco Bell just across the street from the shopping center where the Target is. Damn them to hell, and damn the Big Bell Value Menu. So much food for only $.99! Damn you Cheesy Bean and Rice burrito! Damn you to hell!

Had an extra long walk with the dog tonight, so maybe that will help lower things a bit. We shall see...

1 comment:

drewspop said...

Dude, get to the gym...

Congrats on the gig. I did catch up on your brog last week while on the train (can't post comments, grrr) and was really happy to see you are gainfully employed. Nice job.

Now let's go, get to that 24 Hour Fitness and help yourself out ;)