Created by MyFitnessPal - Calorie Counter

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

New Horizons, New Challenges

So. As much as the new work gig is in fact a GREAT job (and not just because I was off work for 6 months…it really is a great company), the physical office layout does not provide me with much in the way of blogging opportunities. The company was a start-up, expansion branch of a larger company. They have established themselves, and we are expecting to relocate to much larger digs in the next few months. In the meanwhile, I’m sitting at a desk, working on a laptop, with not so much as a half-height cube wall to separate me from my coworkers. Meaning, I gots no privacy!!! Thus, I don’t want to be sitting with Blogger open, inserting pictures and hyperlinks while my boss walks behind me. Which is my cheap-ass excuse for why I haven’t posted in a while. But I’m attempting to change that (wait, we’ve heard this before, haven’t we).

You may have noticed a new appearance, and a new blog header/description. I’m expanding (no pun intended) the goal of this here Totally Ghey Online Diary to include all manner of personal improvement…not just weight. For this, I give the majority of the credit to Dear and Patient GF. We were watching either a movie or a TV show where one of the characters was being called out for not being willing to change, to meet the needs of their significant other. And we both noted parallels in our relationship, particularly on my end of things. Basically (as if you hadn’t noticed from my lack of consistent posting and consistent gym attendance), I’m a lazy schlub, who really doesn’t want to give up my easy, lazy habits. Well, I’m going to try to change that. In addition to the obvious tracking of the weight issues, I’m attempting to get my finances in order, and be a better boyfriend. I’m going to better prioritize my life. Basically all the little crap that becomes the first casualty of a lazy attitude, that’s what I’m going to try and improve on. Right here and now, I can’t tell you specifically what I’m going to do, but I am going to try and use better judgment to react to life and its unique challenges. I do hope to post at least several times per week, if not daily, so we shall see. Wish me luck.

6 comments:

River Driver said...

Don't wanna start trouble, but I've seen you change quite a bit during the course of the relationship...

OK, I'm done talking now...

iamhoff said...

Unfortunately (or fortunately) you don't get to see the day to day living that is done. There is more going on than you know about, so keep that in mind.

Unknown said...

Does this new-found re-dedication mean that you have decided to up the ante a bit (to use a phrase from your other blog) and pop the question? Just curious.

iamhoff said...

No, I'm not there yet. I hope that the new attitudes and actions that grow out of this here refinement of purpose put me in a better position to do so. We shall see, and there's a lot that needs to happen before we get there, but success here would certainly make it easier to do so. How's that for a non-answer?

Unknown said...

Like I said, I was just curious. It has been what, like 5 years?

If I may put in my $.02, it seems to me that it would be a shame for you to put all this work into changing who you are for someone else. In my experience, that rarely turns out well, especially if that change is made a requirement in the continuation of a relationship.

If this is something you feel like you need to do for your own reasons, more power to you. I hope it helps out with everything as much as you think it will. Working to improve yourself on a daily basis (based on your own morality, beliefs and standards) is a noble goal that everyone should aspire to.

Wow, enough of that. Sorry I got a bit carried away. I am stoked for you that your new job is going so well. It sounds like you are going to be quite happy there. It was good getting to hang with you when we were out in Dec. Sorry we don't get out there to see you more.

iamhoff said...

No worries, and yes, I am doing this for myself. 6 months-plus of staring fate in the face really puts things in a new perspective, so why not take the opportunity to take stock of things and see where there's an opportunity to improve. I'm not specifically doing anything for the relationship, or in direct response to anything that has been said. That being said, I know what issues are out there and why not see if I can address those while staying true to myself? If it works, great! If not (and I'm not saying that there's anything going on there), I can feel good about my efforts and who I am as a person.

And it was great getting to see you guys over the holidays, and I'd love to hang out more. If things continue to go well and Jodi gets a new, better paying job, maybe we can find our way to Mid-South for a visit.