Created by MyFitnessPal - Calorie Counter

Tuesday, October 02, 2007

(Hopefully) A Return to Progress

Greetings and Salivations!  New month, new efforts!  September wasn't a bad month, it just was a kind of screwy and ineffective month.  Those few of you still stopping by here at What Happened know that my dear doggie has been of ill health.  Specifically, she was diagnosed as having an "exploded" disc in her lower lumbar region.  Simple version, one of the discs in her back had broken up into bits, and the bits were putting pressure on her spinal cord.  This (logically) was the source of her pain, lack of energy, etc.  She had surgery to clean things up on 9/25, and it was a resounding (if not expensive) success!  She is already getting her energy and appetite back, and even though she's on a restricted physical regimen, she would rather be back to doing the usual stuff, like 45 minute walks through the canyons adjacent to Casa de Hoff.  For pretty much the entire month of September, though, she's been on restricted activity, either by choice via the pain or after we got her on steroids, by doctor's orders.  I think it was this that was one of two major contributions to my lack of progress in losing weight throughout September.  Every day, I would have two 40-60 minute walks at a reasonably moderate pace (varying 3.0-3.5 on a treadmill).  With the pain and restrictions, those walks got cut down to 5-10 minutes each at a slower pace, thus removing two major calorie-burning activities every single day.  The other contributor to my lack of progress was also dog-related.  Most nights that DAPGF taught, I had to head straight home to keep an eye on the dog, or take her to a doctor's appointment.  As such, of the 20 or so gym opportunities I had during September, I probably made it only 4 or 5 times. 

Still, it could have been worse.  As it happens, my weight on 9/1 was 278.6, and the weigh-in yesterday on 10/1 was 278.8.  And yesterday was screwy unto itself.  Because doggie came home late last week from her surgery, DAPGF worked from home on Friday to keep an eye on her, and I stayed home on 10/1 to keep an eye on her.  Interestingly, I managed to do a better job of not snacking than I do at work.  Despite a dinner that consisted of Jack Daniels Shrimp, potato skins, fries (they came with the shrimp), and a piece of Oreo chocolate cake from TGI Fridays, I managed to drop .2 lbs and weigh-in at 278.6 on Tuesday morning.  So far I've been really good at not eating anything extra, and I made it to the driving range to try out my new driver.  My slice is still fugly, but I'm getting pretty good power out of the new club.  I'm planning to hit the gym tonight, and with DAPGF teaching I get to stay home and eat a Lean Cuisine for dinner.  Tomorrow should be a pretty good day.  My goal for 10/8 is 276.8 lbs.  I've obviously had a problem breaking past the 275 barrier, but I think I've got the start of some momentum.  Wish me luck!  Keep it up out there!

No comments: