Created by MyFitnessPal - Calorie Counter

Monday, March 12, 2007

And another week oozes to an end...

Well, the weight has gone down a bit from the high point, but as I expected it was higher than my weekend late weigh-in low points. Meh. A couple of changes that I’ve noticed this week.

1. The dog has been taking longer morning walks. While this isn’t a bad thing in and of itself, walking her isn’t a “high-impact” cardio event. When she does a shorty walk, I usually have an opportunity to do a 15 or 20 minute Exercise TV cardio routine. That gets the blood flowing and sets up a metabolism boost going into breakfast. It seems to me that 15 min walk + 15 min of Exercise TV is better than 30-45 minutes of just dog walk.

2. DAPGF started her new quarter of teaching this week. Last quarter she taught 3 nights out of the week (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday), and I was able to hit the gym each of those nights after work. This quarter she is only teaching two nights out of the week, so I lose one gym night. I still get to the gym on the weekends, but I’m trying to find out where I can sneak in some additional exercise. I’m trying to get out and walk for 15-30 minutes at lunch, but recently I discovered this…

3. There’s a driving range about a mile from my office (and around the corner from our future location!). When I was working for Heritage Pacific, there was a driving range near the office, and I went there every day I could. Of course it helped that when I bought my $40 range card, they apparently screwed up and programmed it for $400 dollars worth of credit! I never noticed it until I thought I’d come close to burning through $40, and I actually looked at the display on the ball vending machine. Imagine my surprise to see that I was sitting on more than $360 in credit! You might not think so, but driving golf balls for 45 minutes is a pretty decent workout. Since it’s extremely unlikely that I’ll wind up with another screaming deal like the one I had (the range card was only good at that one range, and since I was laid off from the job and lived 26 miles away from the range, it made sense to sell the range card on Craigslist), I’ll have to limit my play to a couple of times per week. Still, every little bit helps.


This weekend was bad, but for a good reason. DAPGF is having a birthday! Of course it falls on a night she teaches, so we partied it up this past weekend, particuarly with the food. Friday was pretty simple...ribs! Unfortuantely not Corky's in Memphis (ask River Driver about it), but certainly adequate. Saturday lunch was a sushi buffet, and despite the fact that sushi is fundamentally a healthy food, once you add the word "buffet" to it (see Souplantation), healthy is out the window. Still, I loves me some raw dead fish, so no complaints from yours truly. Then came dinner. Hoo boy! My favorite swanky seafood joint in San Diego (and that's saying a lot!), Oceanaire. DAPGF had the Baqueta (a member of the bass family, caught somewhere off of Baja's east coast). It was pan seared in a mushroom demi-glace, with garlic mashers. Yummy. Me, I had my favorite dish there, Ahi Tuna Steak that has barely kissed the pan. It was done to perfection, seared barely an eighth of an inch in (that's cooked fish, not fat, in case you couldn't tell), served with a wasabi-something sauce. I also had a cup of their clam chowder, which was very good, but came in behind Brophy Bros.' Santa Barbara location. And as a side to share, we had one of their signature dishes, Hash Browns a la Oceanaire. You might be thinking, "hash browns?" Oh sweet Lord you haven't had hash browns until you've had these. First, it's a huge order. Second, the potatoes are freshly grated on site. Third, they're fried in enough butter to kill. Fourth, they're intermingled with cheddar, carmelized onions, bacon, and tobasco sauce. Absolutely to die for, and I'm sure i will be dying soon from clogged arteries or something. Still, absolutely worth it. Can't wait to see what the weigh-in will be on Monday!

And now I need to file a complaint. I went to the gym over the weekend (yay for me!), unfortunately without my mp3 player. I’d taken it out of the bag to load up some new tunes (it’s old, and only 256 mb…give me a break), and didn’t get it done. So I figured I’d listen to the tunes they piped in (from some service like Music Choice or one of those). When I walked in, they were on a basic rock tip, and I listened to Bon Jovi (Livin’ on a Prayer) and AC/DC (Back in Black) while I was getting changed. As I entered the gym floor and headed to my ab cruncher bench, “Stop” by Jane’s Addiction started up. OK. All good tunes for pumping up a workout pace. And here’s where things went weird. About a minute into Jane’s Addiction, someone switched channels over to a pop channel. Not really happy, but I figured the pop tempo of the music would keep things moving. The first song kinda did ok…it was by Jessica Simpson (I think) and had that hook from “Jack and Diane” by John Cougar. I hate it when decent songs get corrupted like that, but at least the song had a reasonable tempo. The next one was some breathless-sounding girl doing a very mellow and slow cover of “Send Me An Angel,” which was originally done back in the 80s by (I think) Real Life, and sounded a lot like “Twilight Zone” by Golden Earring. The original version of “…Angel” had a good tempo, with its Eurotrash beat, but this sounded like somebody, whispering over a keyboard wash. And the one after that was an equally mellow-sounding version of Firehouse’s “Love of a Lifetime,” which itself was a far too mellow hair metal ballad. I didn’t think it could’ve gotten more mellow, but I guess if you take the electric guitars (even the ones without distortion) away, it puts you to sleep. At that point I just tuned it out and did my workout. I’m not sure what really happened, but as the timer counted down to zero on the elliptical trainer, “Root Down” by the Beastie Boys came on. I’m not sure when someone grew a pair and switched over from the sappy, sleepy crap that had been on, but I sure wish it had been sooner. As it is, I will be loading up the mp3s tonight…I’m thinking Stormtroopers of Death (Speak English or Die), Disturbed, Linkin Park, Dokken, Ratt, Iron Maiden, maybe some Beastie Boys and Ludacris, and maybe Pantera to round out a nicely energetic mix.

No comments: