Created by MyFitnessPal - Calorie Counter

Friday, March 24, 2006

So here's what I'm thinking

Here's the story of me and my fatness. First of all, I am a big guy. I'm 6'3", and I actually am big boned (apologies to Cartman). The downside was that I always ate. Lots. That's been my problem, and I figured if I'm going to actually stick with some sort of weight loss plan, making it public (or at least as public as the inevitable 2 or 3 people that will read this) was the best thing to do. My goal is to daily post what I ate and drank, and what physical activities I engaged in. I intend to formally start on Monday, 3/27, and see what kind of progress I make by my 35th birthday, on 4/12.

I was in pretty good shape in college. I ate, drank, and smoked whatever I wanted. Being young certainly helped, but I lived several miles off campus at UC Santa Barbara. Every day would turn into a 5 mile jungle warfare mountain bike adventure to get to class. Me and a buddy would show up for class bleeding, muddy, and with ripped clothes. Life was good. Being that far off campus and having a rather spread out campus to work from, I rarely went home between classes. I'd walk or ride around campus and Isla Vista (the most drunken, most densely packed 1/2 square mile west of the Mississippi River). The part time job I held was doing sales for a window tint company. I'd drive to my territory, park the car, and walk around for several hours. Finally, the condo we lived in was situated adjacent to a several square mile open space area between our development and the ocean. It was a great place to ride mountain bikes or run. Most mornings I'd get out for a mile or two, and if the weather was warm enough, I'd run a couple of miles out to the beach, and then dive into the ocean for some body surfing. After that, I'd walk back up to the top of the bluff (if you've seen the Ugly Kid Joe video for "I Hate Everything About You", that was filmed less than a mile south/east of my bluff, so you have an idea of what it looks like), and run home.

Graduating and getting an office job wasn't the best thing. I mean it was from a financial perspective, but sitting at a desk for 8-plus hours a day didn't help keep the metabolism moving. That and the inevitable office potlucks conspired to add to my midsection. I did what I could, but it was becoming a battle. Moving to Newport Beach/Costa Mesa helped. It was a 10 minute bike ride downhill from my apartment to 36th Street beach in Newport (just up the beach from Dennis Rodman's house). In those days, I'd wake up around 4:30 and walk across the street to 24 Hour Fitness. I'd work out on cardio and abs for around an hour, and then get ready for work. After work, I'd haul ass home, change into my swim suit, and hop on the bike to ride to the beach. I'd get in and body surf until the green flash at sunset hit. If you've never been in the Pacific when the sun drops below the horizon, you've missed out. It's really a Zen moment, you are one with the world. Anyway, I'd hop back on the bike, ride back up the hill, shower off, change clothes, and go back to the gym to lift weights for an hour.

Getting a commuter job started off looking as though it would be bad, but it turned out to be a blessing in disguise. As before, I'd wake up early, but the 24 Hour Fitness in Aliso Viejo kind of sucked. As such, I'd run for a mile or two, shower and get dressed, and then drive the hour-plus into Los Angeles. At first, I wasn't working out in the evening at all. After an hour and a half of slogging thru LA rush hour, the last thing I wanted to do was go back out after getting home. So I found a really nice 24 Hour Fitness about 15 minutes away from the office and started working out there after work. I'd go for about an hour to an hour and a half with cardio and weights, and get home not much later than I would have at rush hour.

Moving to San Diego and moving in with the gf has proven to be the biggest obstacle (my ever increasing age notwithstanding) to keeping the weight off. Well, she can't take all the blame. I still eat bad food and much more of it than I should. But my workout schedule has been seriously compromised. We've now got a dog. I used to run in the morning, but if I go out in the morning without taking the dog, she gets upset and poops in the living room. Fine, I'll take her out for a run. Unfortunately, she's kind of ADD and will chase rabbits only to come to a dead stop to sniff something. And I can't take her out too early, because she has to hold it the whole day. She can, and she hasn't had any accidents from that, but we don't want to push it. So I wind up with limited time in the morning to get any kind of physical activity in before the half hour drive to work. So that leaves the evening. On nights the gf teaches, I am able to stop at the gym on the way home from work, and get some physical activity in. On the nights she doesn't teach, I need to come home so we can have dinner and spend time together. And make no mistake, I'm not complaining about spending time with the gf. It's just frustrating to not be getting the physical activity in that I used to. There's also a driving range near my office. I try to get there on my lunch break whenever possible. Unfortunately, that hasn't been too often since the beginning of the year. Between the weather and being on the road, I haven't been to the driving range more than a couple of times this year.

So here's my plan. Starting Monday I'm going to measure my baselines (weight, waist, etc.) and post them. Then, I'll post on what my food intake was and my physical activity was for the day. My thought is that if I have to put it out here for everybody to see, maybe that will help me to stick with it. Wish me luck.

6 comments:

MusikMom said...

Dude! You can do it!

Okay, now for reality. Dieting sucks, exercising sucks, less than a year from being 40 sucks... I actually started doing my own form of Weight Watchers, with the help of a co-worker. Since last month, I've actually lost five pounds. (That's a lot considering I'm 5'1", you're a whole foot taller, and I was wearing a size 4 and down to 104 last spring.) I got a membership with 12 free weeks of a personal trainer and got my hubby to do the same. The only thing that's worked for me is having a support system at home, at work, and now at the gym.
And I say all of this as I sit, extremely bloated from having too much at lunch but as hubby pointed out, "You're on vacation."
Bottom line, everyone makes excuses and will have a day or two that they fall off the food wagon. I have to remind myself, if this were really easy, then everyone would look as emaciated as those Lohan-Richie girls.
Go easy and make one small change a week... Before you know it, you'll be in the running for People's 50 Sexiest Men. (I'm stil going for the Magdalena aka pirate girl look.)
Best of luck and hang in there!!!

Mon :-)

iamhoff said...

Thanks for the encouragement, and congrats on your progress! As you have likely figured, you are the first to comment. I don't know who else stumbled by here, but at least 4 other people have seen this, judging by the hit counter. How'd you find it? I don't have it really linked to my other blog (yet anyway), so I'm curious.

River Driver said...

All I can do other than say, "Yay! Good luck!" Is to tell you how I'm doing with my weight loss. I've kind of hit a road block. For three weeks now my weight has not appreciably dropped (as a matter of fact, this week I'm up about a pound on my average for the week from last week). i'm not really sure what has happened. The first twenty pounds dropped pretty fast; I lost them all between Halloween, when we started this experiment, and Christmas. Christmas set me back a little, but then I started to lose again. But I'm only down another ten pounds since then. It's very frustrating. I'm not really sure what to attribute it to.

I know I don't always eat as well as I should. I try to spread it out over the course of the day and only eat a little at a time, but I think I probably need to decrease my caloric intake a little anyway. I try to buy things in those 100-calorie packs (sugar-free pudding and jello, popcorn, granola bars, applesauce, raisins, etc.), but I do occasionally binge and have several things at once, which doesn't help. So I am trying to adjust my eating habits again.

As for the working out, I've remotivated myself. For a few weeks, I wasn't making it to the gym more than once or twice in the mornings, and it's all to easy for Ross and I to decide via cell phone on the way to the gym that we don't really want to work out so we just go home instead. It's getting a little better. I think some of my weight loss can actually be attributed to muscle development. This week we added free weights (until now we've been just doing cardio and the weight machines). I think the free weights on the arms (bicep and tricep curls, bench and incline bench, and flies) have added some muscle mass. The muscle is essential for weight loss; the more muscle the have, the more calories you can burn with it. My problem has been that I've sacrificed some of my cardio time for the weights, so I'm not burning the calories I need to burn, and I've added the muscle mass. So I guess I really do know what has added the weight.

Everyone at work still compliments me on how great I look. But I've still got about 35 more pounds to lose. I don't know if I can actually do it; that would put me at about 150, which is about where I was when I graduated high school (I was 125 when I graduated from college, but there were mitigating circumstances). My more immediate goal is to be 175 by the time school gets out (end of May) which means I really need to lose only 10 more pounds to hit that. But it is a hard 10 pounds! AAA!

One thing that I know is also a problem for you is the amount of free time you have. I know you don't have a work out partner in your gf or your dog, and you want to spend time with both of them. Also, you do the whole poker thing. And I know you like your Jack Daniels while you play poker. That combination is a problem. You need to find some more free time somewhere, and it may end up cutting into some other things you like to do. I mean, Ross and I don't spend nearly as much time just home hanging out with each other as I'd like, and many days we just come home from the gym and crash with no snuggling or anything. But the better shape we get in, the more energy we'll have for doing the things we like, such as kayaking. We're both within the weight limits for our kayaks now, and it has improved our abilities as far as negotiating the rivers. But we don't watch as much TV as we used to (we had to set up the computer as a media center to TIVO the few shows we can't miss), the house has gotten a bit more neglected as far as chores, we don't go out much, you get the idea. You just have to prioritize, and our weight problems had gotten to the point where we HAD to make health a priority. You have the same family history I do (cancer, diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease), so you really need to do the same.

Well, enough of that. Just let me know how things are going, and if there is anything we can do to help. Good luck! Love you!

Oh, you asked musikmom how she found your blog. I noticed you had changed your profile the other day, so I clicked on your profile to view the whole thing, and saw the second blog listed. Have you looked at Karen's blog? Both musikmom and I have linked her on our blogs. She's up against the same thing (with some further complications she must deal with) and she's doing really well. Check it out if you haven't seen it yet.

We'll get Ross blogging eventually. :)

River Driver said...

Yes, I know, a few spelling.grammatical errors (that's what I get for typing and watching TV at the same time). And I meant that the free weights were responsible for some gain, not loss.

MusikMom said...

Hey Hoff, your sis is a smart cookie. (How I found the blog.) So, we took a short vacation from everyday life this week. My hubby and I spent Thursday and Friday together, girls in daycare/camp, and we spent the weekend at Wild Horse Pass resort. Anyway, needless to say, I've gained that weight that I lost, oh well. We ate out everyday and only worked out on Friday. Now my 3 yr. old is sick. I'm planning to work from home tomorrow so I doubt I'll hit the gym until she's better.
I think the committment thing is the hardest. Unless you have to answer to someone every week, like WW, then it's easy to slip.
There's a great website... I'll go ahead and post more on my blog. But do try your own version of WWs. You'd really be surprised!

G'luck,
Mon :-)

iamhoff said...

Thanks for all the encouragement...Lord knows I'm gonna need it. I'll know later in the morning, but so far, so so. Watch for the next post.