Created by MyFitnessPal - Calorie Counter

Wednesday, May 21, 2008

An Interesting Observation...

Slowly but surely, my weight is dropping off. I kind of yo-yo through the week, but so far, the past month-plus has had a net drop in weight each week. To the point that I've lost 5.4 pounds from 4/13 thru 5/18. Yay me!

As I've noted in previous posts, usually at the beginning of the week, when I am unable to hit the gym or avoid eating at a restaurant (or two!), my weight will jump up 2 or 3 pounds from the Sunday weigh-in. Part of that is due to the fact that the Sunday weigh-in typically takes place around 11 a.m., and the weigh-ins during the week typically occur around 7 a.m. But whatever the case, my weight jumps at the beginning of the week and then I fight to get it down as the week progresses. Thursday and Friday are two good days, because I have to do my 20 minute power walk back to the train, and it's more difficult to snack in Santa Ana, not having access to a car or the time to go somewhere to get something. Saturday morning usually allows me to go to the gym, and then likewise on Sunday, before that weigh-in. So the week starts rough, and lately has been ending on a relatively good note.

My scale is one of those fancy digital ones that, among other things, calculates BMI, or body fat. Given my size, it's going to be quite some time before my BMI is below "obese" (30% or so, if I remember correctly). But the interesting thing has been watching my body fat measurement each time I weigh myself. My BMI number has been steadily dropping as well. Typically, a gain in weight (such as what I typically experience on a Monday) results in a slightly lower BMI number, due to the "better" weight to Body Mass ratio. That being said, the range of the numbers has dropped over the past month by an average of 1 to 2 percent. I know that doesn't sound like a lot, but it works out to be a roughly 4.3 percent drop in body mass. Again, yay me!

So even as my weight does it's yo-yo thing, I can still see that I'm making progress by the fact that my body fat percentage is dropping off. And that is helping me keep going. Good luck out there.

2 comments:

River Driver said...

I don't even pay attention to the "hydration" and "fat" percentages on my scale. They swing more wildly than the weight itself. I have to keep averages of them week to week for any of it to make sense.

Woke up this morning and weighed in at 189.2. It's been months since I've broken the 190 mark. Yay me!

And school's over! Giving the last exam now. Even yay-er!

River Driver said...

Random but pointless entertainment--made me think of you: watched a double-header this morning. Here are your hints...

#1 "Those are some long legs." "I just had them lengthened. Now they go all the way up."

#2 "War: it's fan-tastic!"